Spring is the best time to freshen up your home. This not only means dwelling spring cleaning, but also home upkeep. After a long winter, many household items can need upkeep or repair. Get your gloves prepared and check out these home maintenance jobs for spring.
- Change the air purifier at least one time every month. This places less strain on the unit and enables it to work at optimum efficiency. Choose a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter which traps microscopic particles like mold, pollen, and dust. To replace the filter, turn off the unit, remove the old filter, then put the new filter in after the directions are written on their own packaging. Do not forget to also get your AC unit serviced before summer starts.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clean and in good shape to prevent household water damage. To begin with, remove debris out of the gutters with your hands along with a garden trowel. Then use a garden hose to wash any residual gunk away. Other things you should mend are sagging gutters and gutter leaks. Next, concentrate on the downspouts — assess clogs by adding a garden hose at every one of these. In case of a clog, remove it using a plumber’s drain snake.
- Assess for animal damage as chilly weather can induce animals such as squirrels, rats, raccoons, and opossums to locate shelter in your dwelling. They do all kinds of harm to get into your attic, basement or garden shed. Look for signs of chewing on exterior valves, wiring, and building materials. To prevent these critters from entering your home, be sure to seal any entry points and cover attic vents using solid materials. Also, trim the trees around your home.
- Wash your garage. Type out the items on your garage into things to maintain, to give away or sell, and also to throw away or recycle. Pressure wash the ground then seal or paint it, and paint the walls too. Save storage space by installing hanging racks, storage shelves, and ropes or pulleys.
- Clean your chimney. Give your wood-burning fireplace a makeover at the start of spring. Eliminate any ash and charred logs utilizing chimney tools, then clean the fireplace surround. Once the fireplace is clean, cover the region around it with a tarp. Do not clean the chimney yourself — leave that to a professional chimney sweep.
- Check window and door screens. When it gets warmer out, it is crucial to prevent insects from entering your home. As a consequence, that you should check for holes in the door and window displays. Patch holes that are larger than the size of a quarter. Additionally ensure displays are firmly fastened, lubricate door hinges, and replace broken hardware.
During spring, stay vigilant of thunderstorms and floods. Learn how to prevent spring flooding and the way to prepare for spring storms. For flood water damage restoration or water removal and mold abatement support, speak to your regional PuroClean office. Check this website to learn more.